Sunday, August 09, 2009

trying to be busy

There are three weeks left until the start of school, and I cannot be happier about it. Don't get me wrong, I love vacation, but I've had my fill of it by Week 3.

This is also the first summer since high school when I wasn't working in some capacity. Summer after high school, it was waiting tables at Applebee's. Every summer in college, it was newspaper internships. Summer after college, it was grad school and Ann Taylor. The one after that, Miami Herald. And the last summer, Boston Globe. So I've been gainfully employed every summer for the past few years. Except this year. And I am bored out of my gourd.

The first few weeks was fun. My body clock slowly adjusted to not waking up at 5:30 without an alarm. I checked my work e-mail once every few days in case something happens (see below). I read "Ethan Frome," which has been languishing on my Amazon reading list. I bought my second copy of "Twelfth Night" and am churning away at that. I had a fantastic cello lesson because I actually had time to practice all my pieces. As you can see, I have returned to blogging for myself, not just for my students.

I went home for two weeks, and that was when extreme boredom sets in. And as James and Christina can attest, it is no good when Julie is bored. In my two weeks at home, I baked a lot of blueberry and assorted blueberry-inspired pies. I read many a Wikipedia article, ranging from the tallest buildings in Boston to the Empire of Japan and the histories of China and Taiwan to members of the Tudor dynasty, when I started watching "The Tudors" on my Netflix Watch Instantly. Of course, I have also read random Wikipedia articles. I also went to my parent's gym daily. I have to say, it's weird to go to a coed gym when your gym is women-only. I feel a lot more self-conscious about even walking in the free-weights area and a lot of more conscious about how fast or how long I run. Random Urban Dictionary articles at 2 a.m. was a fun experience, too. SportsCenter (which seemed to always be on) and afternoon episodes of CSI and CSI: NY also sustained me. Part of the reason for the boredom, I think, is because my sister wasn't also home; she usually is when I am. So it was just me, mom and dad. Is this what it's like to be an only child? I am grateful to have a sibling. :) Love ya, Amez!

Since I've returned to Boston, things have been a lot better. I feel freer, but I am still bored. The increased gym participation continues. I returned to yoga class today for the first time in almost a year. I finished reading "Brick Lane" early Thursday morning, when I stayed up till 4:30 a.m.

Someone asked me on Monday what my life centers around. Maybe it's because we were just discussing my first unit of the school year, but my first reaction and what I said was, "My students. Because I would be bereft without them." Since then, the more I think about it, the more my answer troubles me. While it true that "school" does not seem like "work" to me, it is what I do for a living. So essentially, with my answer, I am saying that my life centers around my work, and I don't think that's true. And this is why it's important to point out how I spent my last summers because I am now realizing how important it is for me to keep busy. Even though I enjoy teaching and find it challenging every day, my friends and family are also important. Family, that's standard, but friendship, I value. I'm the kind of person who holds close friends near and dear. So the more I think about my answer, I think it's the wrong answer.

With three weeks left of summer, I actually have real work to do to prepare for the school year. I have to reread the students' summer reading so I can know what I am talking about (again). I am attending a summer workshop on the transition to high school life in a few weeks. And my department chair volunteered me to the take-home summer workshop on writing a rubric for a pre-existing subject-area assignment. I also need to revise the formatting and other basics of the freshman research project. And bone up on my India/Hinduism/Buddhism, which is the first unit.

So, I actually have work to do for the next three weeks. :) To-do list, coming right up!

No comments: