Friday, August 28, 2009

sitting at Panera on a Friday night

It's the last Friday before school starts, and I woke up at 1 p.m. today. Imagine that, on a usual Friday, I would have been done with teaching all my classes by this time. What this really means is that I need to return to my old sleeping habits. Remember those first days of summer when I still woke up at 5:30 in the morning? I need that part of my life back. ASAP. Or Monday is going to be absolute HELL (Let's not even think about what Tuesday might be like.).

So this is what I should've done with my Friday. I looked back at my week plan and saw that -- surprise! -- I didn't know what today was going to look like. I usually do. Again, summer has not been kind to me this year. What I needed and should've done was to go to school and continue with the organization. What I needed to do was to go to the Museum of Science and checked out that new documentary on India. What did I do instead? I bummed around the apartment, watched some dramas, ate instant mac-and-cheese and kimchi. Took a shower. Went to Panera.

In the last three and a half hours I've been sitting against the wall, I've been quite busy. This is what I did:

* watched the Ted Kennedy memorial service at the JFK Library.
* combed through my roster and e-mailed Scott a list of our students who are on IEPs
* entered students' names into my gradebook in Excel
* formatted and added formulas to the spreadsheet
* started on the seating chart

Tomorrow is the funeral for Ted Kennedy. The service is going to be at the Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Roxbury. There are already crazy parking and traffic restrictions in place. Not that I will be going anywhere because it's going to POUR tomorrow, thanks to Tropical Storm Danny. Should be a lovely day. I imagine tomorrow is going to spent with me, in front of the TV, continuing to play with the seating chart, reading Indian history. And planning imaginary vacations for February and/or April.


No comments: