Tuesday, September 01, 2009

a new school year

I guess I keep hoping all summer that work will save me. School will keep me busy and save me from drowning in my emotions. It's worked, at least from 7:45 a.m. till 2:25 p.m. I'm so preoccupied with school, I have nothing else to think about. It's the time alone with myself -- especially the drive home -- that I feel most down. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.

Question of the day: Is it ever OK to truly dislike a student on the first day?

A little background is in order. A student of mine has a physical disability and requires a walker. I have known about this for awhile, but I really got to know the condition only in the last few days.

The student was late to class because of a confusion with his instructional aide, which was fine because I was expecting him. Of course, his classmates were unaware of all this and there were a few stares when he got to class. A girl kindly offered her desk so he can sit in the front and not have to negotiate the maze of desks to get to the back. As he was getting settled, a student who sat behind him started making snickering facial expressions to others across the aisle. I only saw the one student and didn't get a chance to glance over to see the recipient of these expressions.

I don't know how I should've reacted, but I don't think I should've reacted the way I did -- which is by not reacting at all. I didn't even give the other student a look. But I felt inner disgust at how he reacted to a physically disabled student.

Tomorrow, I give out my class expectations. On Thursday, we will get to know one another through various ice breakers. On Monday, I think, we will discuss what it means to have a respectful, safe learning environment.

No comments: