Wednesday, November 09, 2005

moons and Junes and ferris wheels

Today, after much stress, frustration, planning and self-doubt, I ran for editor in chief of the Daily Trojan and lost. There lots of things going against me, most of which I can't/won't elaborate, but the main thing is that I'm glad I did it. Am I sad that I lost? Yes, of course. Sad because I lost, but also sad because I knew I could've really changed the DT. I didn't do it out of spite; I did it because I believe.

But I know now that when I graduate, I leave the DT with no regrets, no "what if," no "maybe if," no "I wish." Running for EiC was something I've wanted to do since I was a freshman, now I've done it. It's done, and now I move on with my life.

Tomorrow, I head to the first leg of my whirlwind journey through the U.K., visiting Windsor Castle, University of Oxford, Stonehenge and Stratford-upon-Avon -- in that order. In between those, I will file my column for the Daily Trojan and read for the papers I have to write for my history classes.

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


"But something's lost
but something's gained
in living everyday.
I've looked at life
from both sides now,
from win and lose,
and still somehow,
it's life's illusions I recall.
I really don't know life at all."
-- "Both Sides Now," Joni Mitchell


Picture of the Day: Remembrance Day.
Veterans poppy display in front of Westminster Abbey on Monday.

No comments: