Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Boston!!!!!

I went to Boston over the weekend for Boston College's open house -- more specifically, to its funding forum to find a job/assistantship/internship to fund this little education.

My flight out of LAX was at 1:45 p.m. on Friday, and true to form, I was there waaay early. But never fear, as my friend James called me while I was searching for a hairbrush in the giftshop (one of the things I always forget to pack) and told me that he hit an old lady and her car (both are apparently fine) with his Michigan rental car .... as a 21-year-old rental car driver. On the bright side, HE GOT THE JOB!!! The people in the store must've thought I was crazy when I heard the news. So incredibly happy for him. :) You should read the paper! It's the Adrian Daily Telegram, a bit outside of Ann Arbor. He'll be covering education (school districts, colleges, etc.).

I arrived at Logan International around 10 p.m. and called the hotel (Four Points by Sheraton ... yay for accumulating points) to pick me up and they couldn't find me! "Couldn't find me" ... my ass. I was the girl with luggage in the arrivals area with an obviously out-of-town USC sweathirt on. Apparently, they went upstairs ... where the departures are. Now, tell me, why would I be at departure when I am staying at a hotel?!?!?!

After I called three times (once to tell them I'm here, another after 25 minutes ... another after 30 minutes) .... they finally "found" me. I got to the hotel around midnight.

I heart the T, by the way. Especially compared to LA's metro system .... well, anything is better than LA's metro system.

Boston College is GORGEOUS, albeit with weird green roofs and a crazily laid-out campus. I'm pretty sure I got lost at least once.

I know this whole "open house" thing is made to make people LOVE BC (being on many a admissions panel myself), but it really made me think that I made the right decision for the right reasons. It was touch-and-go for a while there, before I sent in the deposit.

There were several possibilities for jobs -- I'm really hoping to intern at the Chestnut Hill School -- it's a private elementary school near BC and the recruiter lady seemed REALLY nice. We'll see what happens. I'm also going to apply to be a substitute teacher during the school year ... they get paid pretty well, so that's gonna help a bit.

After the open house, I hung out with my friend Andre from Tampa (remember?) and had great fun. I think I laughed and destressed more than I had in a really long while. By the way, MIT has an awesome student center. I'm jealous. >:( I also made some (but not enough!) flash cards while his frat had its beach party in the basement ... I kept falling asleep and couldn't get any work done ... plus mom started calling me about storage questions .... and my resident called about move-out inspections .... and I fell asleep .... and woke up and read about copyright .... and fell asleep -- apparently "fair use" and the "sunshine act" weren't too fascinating with jet lag and very little sleep and a day of pushing my hire-ability.

Leaving Boston Sunday morning (7:20 AM! with no sleep, what with celebrating Andre's friend Nick's birthday and the KS party that I didn't go to) was really sad. :*(

But Boston was AMAZING and I can't wait for June 26!!!!!! :D

By the way .... I'm in the middle of finals, so don't expect too much of me for the next 2 weeks.

Currently listening to on repeat: "Amsterdam" by Guster. :)



No comments: