Thursday, December 22, 2005

I will miss London

Well, since I am actively wasting time, I might as well actively write something here. I am going to write about what I WILL miss about London/UK/Europe and what I WILL NOT miss. After I get back to Florence/LA, I will write about what I ACTUALLY miss and what I ACTUALLY don't. Oui? Let's get started.

I will miss London because
1. they have an awesome public transportation system. One does not need a car.
2. I have my own room at "university"
3. this city/country/continent actually have history more than 300 years old
4. they have castles!!!!
5. and old stuff
6. they have great shopping
7. they have online grocery shopping and deliver the food to your door
8. they have a monarchy!!!
9. this city must have about 5 real newspapers
10. people in this city have impeccable grammar, as far as I can tell.
11. for the lack of "rubbish bin," see below, they have pretty clean streets
12. they have the A to Z, a handy-dandy pocket-sized street map
13. I have a massive desk that can actually take the abuse
14. and a massive bookshelf that can hold more than 3 books
15. the cleaning lady who takes out my trash because I hate doing that
16. the cleaning lady who also vaccums my carpet because I also hate doing that
17. they have the amazingly efficient Argos. I love Argos.
18. I have a cool shower/bathroom combo that is very convenient. :)


I will not miss London because
1. there seems to be a lack of "rubbish bins" on the street
2. it is cold
3. its higher-education system drives me insane
4. it is expensive
5. everything closes earlier
6. I think 24-hour Kinko's (I think there is only one) is the only thing that actually opens 24 hours
7. their university libraries don't open 24 hours
8. people read the tabloids as if it's news.
9. their shots are so small, it's not even worth getting a shot. You have to get two, so you're really paying four times as much for your shot of whatever.
10. there are way too many tourists
11. the crazy cleaning lady who yells at us while alone in the kitche, except that we can all hear her from our respective rooms. Sometimes, I wake up from deep slumber because I can hear her yelling in the kitchen
12. Royal Mail is not good. Royal Mail loses mail. That is bad.
13. I like knowing that water will always come out of the faucet when I need it.
14. and that when I need hot water, I will not get a constant stream of cold water in its stead.

No comments: