Friday, January 27, 2006

circles

I've realized recently that I've been closing a lot of circles.

Four years ago, I applied to housing with Parkside as my first choice. I am now living in Parkside.

Two years ago, in print reporting, I interviewed Joe Dominik at a bookstore on Vermont called Skylight Bookstore, where Joe read aloud from his book on California's three-strike law. This semester, my last, I am taking Joe Dominik's Community Journalism class. Yesterday, after Wednesday night production (continuing the Wednesday night after-production dinner tradition), we went to Fred 62 in Los Feliz. We passed a bookstore, and Jeremy mentioned that it's a pretty cool bookstore. As we crossed the street from Fred 62 n the way back, I realized that the dinky little movie theater beside the bookstore looked really familiar. HEY! I KNOW that bookstore! Can you believe that all this time I didn't know where Fred 62 was, but I definitely walked past it at least twice that day I interviewed Joe for my story. All this time!

***

I said I will write down, from the perspective my returning to the U.S., what I miss about London. Because I still do. I miss London every day. I bought a London map from the bookstore a couple of days ago. It is now on my wall.

I miss London because I can walk everywhere. This is especially important because I don't have a car at school this semester.
I miss London because it has culture.
I miss London because it has museums of all persuasions. I love museums.
I miss London because the people are so polite.
I miss London because it has so much history.
I miss London because I had a great time there.
I miss London because it has taught me so much about myself.

No comments: