Tuesday, July 12, 2005

flooding

I went to sleep at 6 a.m. Sunday morning. It's late, I know. But the point is is that everything in the apartment was shipshape. I believe I set thet alarm for 11 a.m. because I need to study for the CSET that's coming up really soon. So the alarm goes off as scheduled, and I, of course, press the snooze. I think I heard the door knocking around 11:30 because for some reason, I remember the clock reading 11:30. I thought, maybe Julie or Andre can get that. I hear the knocking some more, and then I hear Julie's voice. Going back to sleep, I decided. Except now I want to know who was knocking. So I get out of bed.
 
And step into wet carpet.
 
My entire room's carpeting was so wet that when I walk toward the dining room, I can see my footprints. As I continue toward the dining room, the wet footprints follow. EW. EW. EW.
 
Julie said she tried waking me up to tell me, but I was apparently too asleep to notice -- remember, 6 a.m. So the plumber was the one knocking, and the carpet people are on their way.
 
Julie, Andre and I move everything I own in Tampa (minus the clothes hanging in the closet, which is also sopping wet) to the living room after Julie and I move the heavy brass-like-legged dining table and chairs to the living room. You can see the wet dents where the legs were. So my belongings are in the living room and some of my clothes are wet.
 
The plumber said our toilet's filler (?) or filter (?) or something that starts with an F in the tank was corroded and it reached a breaking point and the water overflowed. So the bathroom is also wet. Bathroom, my room, dining room and spots in the living room.
 
The carpet people came and sucked the excess water off the carpet and put in a carpet dryer thing. The apartment has to be left at 70 degrees to avoid mold and mildrew (you don't want that), so in addition to being wet, the apartment is now cold.
 
I have to make up my days for this Friday and Saturday, so I'm working Sunday and Monday. I go to work on Sunday at 3:30 p.m. as usual and returned to the freezer. I go to sleep around 3 a.m. and woke up Monday morning at 9 because it was so cold. I didn't care about sleeping in the living room, but it was freezing. Did the same last night, but less cold.
 
This morning, the carpet in my room dried, and the carpet people moved the drying machine to the dining room, where the carpet is still a little damp. I have also moved my bed to my room, but the other stuff's gotta wait until Friday morning or whenever I have time.

No comments: