Thursday, November 16, 2006

sick, sick, sickity sick

I've been sick for seven days now, but the end seems near.

It all started last Thursday, when I got a flu shot. Me, healthy, adult. Flu shot. Apparently, getting my first flu shot equates to getting my very first flu. I worked on Friday, and everything was fine. My arm was a bit sore, but it was OK. On Friday afternoon, I got this horrendous sore throat. Stuffy nose followed. I got a bit better on Saturday, meaning that the sore throat was gone, but the stuffy nose was there, and the sneezing started. On Sunday, I called in sick to work because it just wasn't happening. Plus, getting 27 kids sick -- not so good. On Sunday, I started on decongestants. It worked ... and then I ran out of medicine. On Monday, I developed a slight fever, and I got more medicine (generic DayQuil). New symptom: Because my nose was stuffed up, I was having a hard time breathing. It rained on Monday. I called in sick. Fever is no good, either. Tuesday afternoon, a miracle happened. The nose decongested, and all is almost well. I returned to work Wednesday in time for the field trip to Discovery Museum, but I still had runny nose. TODAY, oh, TODAY. I almost lost my voice. I croaked my way through school. My students kept asking, "are you sick?" Yup, I am! I'm still sick from the two days I wasn't here. It was a little helpful, though. I told the kids that it hurts to speak loudly (very true), so they will have to be quiet. Anyway, I think I've regained my voice, but the yellow phlegm started today, so that's fun.

Just as a side note: While I was sick, I wrote one six-page paper (should be eight ... ), one four-page paper and read 366 pages of slave history. I got about a total of six hours from Friday until Monday afternoon. Thanksgiving crunch sucks.

No comments: