Sunday, February 24, 2008

Back to London (or London 2008) post 3

I wrote the following on the plane. I knew it was going to snow heavily on Friday, when I was supposed to land in Boston, so I was anticipating a delay, but there wasn't. But the troubles began on route, around Nova Scotia/Maine, when the captain first mentioned that there was snow in Boston. So this is what I wrote toward the end of the plane ride. Note that we were supposed to arrive in Boston around 5:20 p.m.

***

Friday, 5:25 Eastern

Captain has been announcing that there is very little visibility (1/2 mile) in Boston and that we are being held at a location about 30 minutes north of the city and are in line to land because there is quite a line. Now, the captain has announced that Boston Logan is closed and we are first in line to land when it opens. We are now waiting for the airport to close. We are supposed to be on the ground right now. He said that we have "plenty of time" to wait -- I'm guessing he's referring to fuel -- but I'm sure there are people who are making connections and whatnot, so this does not bode well for them. On the other hand, the airport is closed right now, so no planes are going or leaving. Fun times. On the other hand, it's at least good that we're in the air, not in London, where we would've been stuck until god knows how long. On the other hand, under what circumstances would we need to divert to another airport so that we won't run out of fuel? I mean, we've been in the air for about eight hours now. Turning off laptop and continue to read "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose. I can feel that plane descending. Good sign? 5:32 Eastern.

No comments: