Thursday, May 17, 2007

the intelligence tests

As you all know, I have been a research subject for about a month or so now, and about two weeks ago, I underwent a series (three) of various intelligence tests. I took a test that had Test of Achievement on the cover, the WAIS-III and another one. They all tests basically the same stuff. Here is the breakdown by category.

math
timed -- mixed set of basic arithmetic, written word problems, verbal/aural word problems, mixed set of higher-level math (quadratics, fractions, square/cube roots, logs, deferentials, integrals, sin/cos/tan, etc.)

language
fill in the sentence with a specific set of words or phrases, fill in the sentence with a specific part of speech, verbal definitions, spelling of various difficulty

general knowledge
logical reasoning (why is free press important? why is it important to study history?), comparisons/find the similarity between words (apples and strawberries, trees and water), 10 questions of generally known facts (number of continents, who wrote "Hamlet," who wrote "Faust") I'm proud to report that I knew all the facts except for the speed of light.

memory/organization
listen to a few stories, repeat it as well as you can and answer a set of verbal comprehension questions and do it again in 10 minutes, remember a list of 12 random words, repeat it, repeat it in specific order of categories, remember faces to names, do another activity, remember faces to names again, do it again, remember shapes, do another activity, remember the shapes again, repeat a list of increasingly long numbers and do it again with a different set of numbers, but do it backward, do it with another set of numbers AND letters, but repeat it with the numbers first then the letters, follow verbal directions by pointing to a picture (point to the cat in from of the tree and then the boy on the horse but before you point to the blue bird but only if the girl sitting on the bench is eating an ice cream cone .... GO)

There are probably some that I don't remember because it's been awhile, but basically, the proctor was impressed by my general knowledge, my spelling, my incredible memory (I told you guys!) and my math skills. I sucked at following the complex directions. That section was SO hard. I am, I am happy to report, ABOVE AVERAGE! :) woohoo.

No comments: