Saturday, April 12, 2008

BC commencement speaker

For those of you who remember well my (and others, I might add) tirade against the choice of Antonio Villaraigosa speak at the USC commencement two years ago, you will be glad to know that, while I am not entirely mollified, Boston College has chosen a much better, more renowned speaker for its 2008 commencement -- David McCullough. At least the guy didn't have to just walk down from city hall to speak. McCullough has some oomph. And hopefully will not have an extramarital affair with a TV reporter one year after he speaks.

I've actually have already heard McCullough speak -- interestingly, at USC, when he was promoting 1776 (I think). In any case, he's a great speaker. Engaging, intelligent. Will not stand on a political soapbox. Besides, he's a history guy.

But we won't tell him that I've been working on finishing his "John Adams" since second semester freshman year. There is progress. Just incrementally.


No comments: