Wednesday, October 10, 2007

ketchup fried rice

So this might SOUND disgusting and weird, but it is REALLY good and very simple to make. My mom made this a couple of times, and I've made it several times. It's filling, especially if you add stuff to it. I like corn. You might prefer shrimp or pork or something.

Ketchup Fried Rice
INGREDIENTS:
cooked rice
ketchup
salt
pepper
oil
optional: canned sweet corn, shrimp or a meat of your choice

PROCEDURE:
* Cook the rice according to instructions or taste. I, being Asian, use a rice cooker. Make enough for however many people you're feeding. Leftovers are great even the next day.
* In a hot skillet or saucepan -- this works best in a nonstick pan -- drizzle about 2 tablespoons of oil and wait for it to heat up
* Add your rice. If you have a lot of rice, add it gradually.
* stir around so if doesn't burn, but I like a little crunchiness
* squeeze a liberal amount of ketchup over the rice, until it turns orange-pink
* taste. add more ketchup if needed
* add your extra ingredient. If you're using raw seafood or meat, I suggest pre-cooking it
* add salt and pepper to taste

That's it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awesome! I'm half japanese and grew up with my mom making this as quick comfort food. Now, being a college student, I find myself turning to this after long days.
My favorite way to do it is to add bacon and green onions and lots of pepper and garlic!