Wednesday, September 19, 2007

tennis and cello

so two funny (in different ways) stories:

First, I had my first tennis lesson last night since high school. It's free with my membership, so why not? Let me just say that I have really terrible reflexes, and I remember during one lesson in high school, I got hit by a ball three times. So this foray back into the impact sport world is a big step. Last night, we learned the forehand and backhand, and the teacher was tossing up balls to hit backhands. It's my turn, and I stepped up to the service line and waited for the ball. It bounced high. I reached out to get it. It hit me in the left eye. I saw stars. One large, white star followed by smaller, shiny stars. My eye is OK, but I had blurry vision for awhile. And I have a faint black eye, where my brow bone is, which is where it hit. But it was a tennis ball, so it really covered the entire eye.

Today was my first cello lesson of the semester, and since my old teacher went to Honolulu for a symphony job, there is a new teacher. I already knew that she got her master's from USC, and when the music director wrote in an e-mail that she's from South Carolina, I discounted it as a typo. Well, get this. It wasn't a typo. My new teacher's husband's father (her father-in-law), is the president of a local university in my town, and it is the same university where my high school yearbook adviser's husband is a provost. In fact, my cello teacher said, my adviser and her husband sent a wedding present. Crazy, huh?

No comments: