Wednesday, June 06, 2007

coming up this summer

It's hard to believe that that this time next week, I will be, once again, sitting at a computer, happily editing copy. As most of you know, I am in grad school to teach, and I still am. But I cannot tell you how much I miss daily interactions with adults who write in proper English. Everyday, I get e-mails from my fellow teachers with gross grammatical errors that makes me want to burn some bridges and tell them how to use commas and semicolons correctly. I do not exaggerate when I say that I can print out five examples of deplorable grammar in e-mails and documents everyday. But I guess that is most workplaces.

I relish in correcting the Daily Oral Language exercises with my students because I get to teach them the proper way to capitalize and to use punctuation. For the past two weeks, the joy of my time at school was helping 27 students proofread their paragraphs about their favorite memories of this school year.

So I am not giving up on teaching; rather, I am fed up with teachers. I need to be with my fellow grammarians for a little while. I imagine that I will always long to return to newspapers and copy desks, but I am waiting for my last year of school, when I get to observe and teaching in a high school classroom, to decide, if needed, which road I am to take.

On a final note, my frustration does not extend to my students, though. I love them! They are brilliant, funny, ridiculously creative ... and they give me hugs! They totally listen to you when you give them advice ... And they are unafraid to cry. Maybe I should teach elementary school?

No comments: